What is personal data?
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) defines personal data in the broadest of terms:
“Any information related to a natural person or “Data Subject,” that can be used to directly or indirectly indentify the person. It can be anything from a name, a photo, an email address, bank details, posts’ on social networking websites, medical information, or a computer IP address.”
In practical terms, EasyTax, Taylor & Co or JT Accountants i.e. “we”/”us” do not collect personal date from this web site, except via our contact page/form. Should you complete this form we will consider it personal data along with any Client information collected about an individual as part of a normal business transaction as personal data. Normal business transactions with us normally start when you engage us as your accountant/tax advisor to do the following:
- personal tax returns;
- business accounts’
- business tax returns’
- on a continuing yearly basis
- and while you are a client of ours to complete any other work you instruct us to complete on your behalf;
We will have to process and store personal data about you that you provide to us in order to carry out the work and instructions given to us by you.
Information you give us
You may give us information about you by filling in forms we sent you, via our web site, using social media, participating in our surveys which may be sent to you from time to time or by corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you first instruct us/register with us to act as your Accountant/Tax advisor, subscribe to our newsletter or other services we provide, upload or download content (an example of this would be downloading your accounts, tax-returns each year or as when required, to yourself, HMRC, Company House (if applicable) or other party that you instruct us to.
The information you give us may include (but is not limited to);
- your personal name and address;
- your business name and address;
- your email address;
- your phone number(s)
- your tax reference number(s), access to your tax account;
- your company house login;
- your date of birth, national insurance number
- personal details of your close/immediate family (wife, children etc)
- your photograph/passport details
- your bank details/bank statements
Information we receive from other sources
We may receive information about you from HMRC, your previous accountant, book-keeper, previous employer etc. This information may arrive without prior notice and subject to any legal reason we would inform you of such information being received by us. We would seek your written/verbal agreement prior to requesting any personal data about you from an outside source. We would not provide personal data or any data about you to an outside source unless you provided us with authority to do so, subject to a request being made by a lawful authority.
We may process your data because:
- we are legally obliged to e.g. to confirm your identity;
- the processing is necessary for the performance of the agreement with you to provide our services and to carry out your instructions;
- we may need to rely on your consent to process Personal Data and where we do this, you will be notified, unless the data is being moved from one hard drive to another within the company.
We will use this information;
Information collected about you will be used;
- to provide you with any of our services you request;
- to carry our your requests;
- carry out our obligations arising from any services entered into between you and us;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to supply you with advice that we can legally provide;
- to improve our service to you.
Disclosure of your information
We may share your personal information with a member of our staff, any person or agency that you state we can. To a legal authority when requested. Your personal information is never sold.
Keeping your data secure
Access to your data is controlled via a password. We store your personal data on secure servers and databases in house. Data is stored in a locked room and in locked steel cabinets. While we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data that is transferred from you or to you via the internet. Our data controller, should you have any queries, is; JT Accountants, address and email at the top of this document.
How long do we keep your personal information?
We keep your personal information for as long as you are a client of ours and for as long as we are required to by law or regulation. You have right to ask us not to process your personal data or to restrict our processing of your personal data.
Access to information
You have the right to obtain a copy of the personal data we hold about you. You also have the right to have us “forget about you”, subject to regulations or laws that state we must retain data, and or, retain data for a certain period of time. Should you wish to use either of these methods please make your request to: EasyTax Accountants, via our contact page or send us an email. Once we have received you request and verified your identity we will respond as soon as possible and in any event within one month.